Inspired by realtor and blogger Alyson Stoakley, I’m trying to step it up in the kitchen. However, week night dinners can be a challenge when you have a toddler running around your ankles who doesn’t understand the lasagna needs 30 more minutes in the oven. So, on Sunday I took about 3 hours to prep 3 dinners for the week: 1) Carnitas (Pulled Pork Tacos), 2) White Cheese and Chicken Lasagna, and 3) Oven Chicken Risotto. Both chicken recipes are from Alyson’s blog. Here’s a picture of the final product:
Below are the steps:
1) Start boiling water for the lasagna.
2) Complete steps 1-5 of the carnitas recipe.
3) Boil lasagna noodles and prep the lasagna layering ingredients. I used a rotisserie chicken. I set aside half for the lasagna recipe and refrigerated the other half for the risotto.
4) Complete step 6 of the carnitas recipe.
5) Assemble lasagna, cover, and refrigerate. Save the baking step for the night you will eat it. I actually made two half portions. You could save one to freeze or give away. We have friends who just had a baby, so I will drop off the second portion at their house.
6) Turn pork in the oven.
7) Make Pioneer Woman Restaurant Style Salsa to accompany the carnitas. After this stuff, you’ll never eat store-bought salsa again.
8) Relax and wait for the pork to finish. Once it’s done cooking, pull it and put in a container to store in the fridge. I actually saved half to freeze for another evening.
9) Prepare risotto through fluffing with a fork. Store in the refrigerator and add chicken, mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil when you serve.
These three recipes were fairly easy to prep in one evening. I liked how I was able to use one rotisserie chicken and that both chicken recipes called for chicken broth, meaning fewer items on my grocery list. The only down side was that the carnitas took a very long time in the oven, so there was some down time when I was waiting to put the risotto in the oven. In hindsight, I should have started the risotto first–I would have finished about 30 minutes earlier. Here’s the meal plan for the week:
Monday- Oven Chicken Risotto
Wednesday- White Cheese and Chicken Lasagna
Friday- Phil’s Continental Lounge
Here’s the little one enjoying carnitas and Pioneer Woman salsa. And, yes, that is her timeout chair in the background. I didn’t notice that when I took the picture.
I don’t know if I’ll have the energy to do this every week, but we’ll see how it goes!